Conversation between Katie and me
Doc, I really hope you're reading this.
She called me out of the blue tonite. The full conversation lasted 2 hours and covered all kinds of topics. I also learned that, despite the fact that she was just given a promotion and a raise, she is starting to feel bored with her job. And I quote: "It's not fulfilling, and not challenging enough." My response: "Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, actually." I wish I had been recording this. But since I just got off the phone, hopefully I'll be able to remember most of it in enough detail to paraphrase the important bits.
Katie: ...So there's this girl I've been seeing named Erica. She just went to Burning Man, and since then, she hasn't talked to me. It's made me really insecure. I really liked her.
Me: Yeah...
Katie: I don't know...I just thought that I understood her, and this really hurt me.
Me: Uh-huh...Wait, does she get the irony here? I feel like I'm in the goddam twilight zone.
Katie: Anyway, I thought to myself, "I should call Dave. He'd understand how this feels."
Me: ... Well, you do have a point, there.
Katie: Yeah...sorry about that.
Me: That doesn't really cut it.
Katie: I just wish I could be the kind of person who could take these kinds of things in stride, you know?
Me: What do you mean?
Katie: Just that ... I wish that this didn't bother me so much. I want to be the kind of person who can be told, "hey, I'm not really interested in you" and just move on with my life.
Me: Why would you want to be that kind of person? You know, it's okay to feel hurt. It makes sense. You liked her, she's not talking to you anymore. That's supposed to hurt.
Katie: Yeah...I guess you're right.
Me: I worry more about the people who don't feel hurt. The only way you could pull that off is if you never get attached in the first place. And there's nothing wrong with getting attached to someone. Even if it ends badly.
Katie: I didn't think about it that way.
Me: Well, there ya go.
Katie: Well, thank you. So have you met a lot of people like that?
Me: Like what?
Katie: People who didn't care?
Me: ...No...not really. I thought I did, but I guess everybody ends up caring in the end. They just show it differently.
She called me out of the blue tonite. The full conversation lasted 2 hours and covered all kinds of topics. I also learned that, despite the fact that she was just given a promotion and a raise, she is starting to feel bored with her job. And I quote: "It's not fulfilling, and not challenging enough." My response: "Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, actually." I wish I had been recording this. But since I just got off the phone, hopefully I'll be able to remember most of it in enough detail to paraphrase the important bits.
Katie: ...So there's this girl I've been seeing named Erica. She just went to Burning Man, and since then, she hasn't talked to me. It's made me really insecure. I really liked her.
Me: Yeah...
Katie: I don't know...I just thought that I understood her, and this really hurt me.
Me: Uh-huh...Wait, does she get the irony here? I feel like I'm in the goddam twilight zone.
Katie: Anyway, I thought to myself, "I should call Dave. He'd understand how this feels."
Me: ... Well, you do have a point, there.
Katie: Yeah...sorry about that.
Me: That doesn't really cut it.
Katie: I just wish I could be the kind of person who could take these kinds of things in stride, you know?
Me: What do you mean?
Katie: Just that ... I wish that this didn't bother me so much. I want to be the kind of person who can be told, "hey, I'm not really interested in you" and just move on with my life.
Me: Why would you want to be that kind of person? You know, it's okay to feel hurt. It makes sense. You liked her, she's not talking to you anymore. That's supposed to hurt.
Katie: Yeah...I guess you're right.
Me: I worry more about the people who don't feel hurt. The only way you could pull that off is if you never get attached in the first place. And there's nothing wrong with getting attached to someone. Even if it ends badly.
Katie: I didn't think about it that way.
Me: Well, there ya go.
Katie: Well, thank you. So have you met a lot of people like that?
Me: Like what?
Katie: People who didn't care?
Me: ...No...not really. I thought I did, but I guess everybody ends up caring in the end. They just show it differently.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home